Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

How do I love you? Let me count the ways ...

Happy Anniversary my love! 4 years ago, we were married. By far and away it was the best day of my life. I didn't necessarily realize it at the time, given that it was like a blizzard in New Jersey and I was basically cursing at everyone because I was so stressed out about the weather. I got ready at my parents house, as I watched the snow coming down in the background. It was like a movie, it looked so beautiful outside. But then the snow just wouldn't stop. And the limo didn't show up to pick up the girls. And the Rolls Royce basically slid down my street to pick up me and my dad. And I had to wear my brothers dirty black snow boats with my wedding dress. And I had to leave with my dad, and leave all my bridesmaids and my mom behind so I could get to the church on time. And my mom had to ask a neighbor, who she had NEVER spoken to, to drive half my bridesmaids to the church. And the Rolls Royce driver had to use a NAPKIN to clean the windsheild during the ride, because the defrost didn't work.

And when I finally made it to the church, I got in a fight with the limo driver who never showed up. And there was no one in the church. Out of the 150 guests we invited, there were like 20 people at the church.

But you were there. And both of our families made it to the church finally. And from that point on, it was my fairy tale. I wanted to sprint down that aisle to get to you, but I figured I might as well milk that walk down the aisle, because it was the only time I would ever take that walk. And once I saw you standing there looking at me, all the rest of the stupid craziness went away. You are my best friend, my biggest supporter, my strength, my conscience, my soul mate. You accept all my many flaws, and make me feel like the most beautiful, the most loved, the most important person on a daily basis.

Our wedding day was so wonderful. After the church, and with so few people there, I was sure that there would be no one at the reception. What a joy to show up and find almost all of our guests there! People really traveled so far and through really treacherous weather to be a part of the most special day of our lives.

I don't know what I did in this life to deserve you, but I'm so glad I did it. I am at a loss to find the words to express my love for you. Although a few do come to mind. Or, at least the words to our wedding song do.

The Luckiest
I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am, I am, I am
The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know

That I am, I am, I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know

That I am, I am, I am
The luckiest

-Ben Folds-


Although I didn't think I could love you more than I did that day, I was wrong. Every day with you has been amazing. I've just come to love you more. And now, seeing you as a father, has just been amazing. I always knew I got the best guy out there, but I had no idea how great until we had our children. You have been 100% a part of this entire journey. From giving me all my shots, to holding my hand during my entire crazy pregnancy, to diaper changes, midnight feedings (and 2am, 4am, etc), baths, spit ups, just everything. I can't count the number of times you have told me to go out for the day and enjoy myself and you stayed with the kids by yourself. And your comment was always "They are my children too. I want to be fully able to take care of them." You were never the type of husband to stand by the side and let me take care of everything. You never expected me to do more than you. You WANTED to be involved in every single step. I don't think I ever felt that our partnership was stronger than I do now. You are amazing in more ways than I can count, remember, or type. So to finish this, Thank you for never stopping loving me after all those years of friendship. Thank you for telling me you loved me in a castle in Ireland. Thank you so much for proposing to me on a rainy night sitting on the edge of Lake George. Thank you for marrying me in a blizzard in New Jersey. Thank you for honeymooning with me in beautiful Hawaii. Thank you for building a life with me in our wonderful home. Thank you for sharing this amazing journey with me. Thank you for giving me your heart, your soul, your life. Today and always. I love you.

Me and my love

One Loving Couple

6 comments:

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary!! Your wedding sounds crazy and wonderful and I love the visual of the black boots with your dress. My friends had that song as their wedding song too and I think it is so perfect!

The rest of your post is so beautiful - I hope you're sharing it with him!

MoMo said...

Happy Anniversary...what a beautiful post!!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! It makes me all sentimental about my wedding too. Your wedding photos are beautiful as well -- thanks for sharing them.

Topcat said...

Oh my GOD!!! That was just so beautiful and I had tears in my eyes! Your hubbie is lucky too, you know!

xox

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! I teared up when I read that- I LOVE that Ben Folds song- LOVE it!

Aimee said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I know I am late!! Your post wa a real tear jerker! The 2 of you make a real attractive couple! You both are so lucky to have each other! Actually, the 4 of you! :o)Cheers!!