Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 21, 2009

The Birth Story - Part 1

Ok ... so now down to the birth story.

My c-section was scheduled for 730am on Tuesday morning. Since we had to be at the hospital between 6am and 630am, my mom spent the night Monday to get up with the twins, get them ready for daycare, and drop them off.

I could NOT sleep the night before. I literally slept from 11pm-3am, and that was it. I just was so anxious, excited and nervous! So I basically just laid in bed and watched soaps on my DVR waiting for 5am. I figured I would get up at 5am, take a shower, blow dry my hair, and do some last minute getting everything together. The Baby Story people wanted us to tape leaving the house in the morning, saying goodbye to the kids, etc. So we wanted to leave a little bit of time for that.

So after getting ready, DH grabbed the camera and we started taping. I went into the kids room, and told them that we were going to the hospital. They started saying the cutest things ... like "the doctors are going to take Sami and Anthony out of mommy's belly!" We've been prepping them! haha. So we said our goodbyes, and DH and I got into the car. I taped myself talking on the way to the hospital, and we got there about 615am.

After going up to L&D, everything was really smooth. The nurse came right out, had all my paperwork ready, and put all my medical bracelets on. They brought me back to a L&D room, and I got undressed and laid down. At this point I was starting to get nervous. The nurse came in, asking lots of questions, and Chrissy and Ant showed up, as well as the Baby Story people. So suffice it to say, there were A LOT of people in the room. At this point, it was my DH, Chrissy and Ant, 3 Baby Story people, and 2 nurses. The nurse tried to do my IV, UGH! That might have been the worst part of the entire process. She had to stick me 2 times, and couldn't get it, so she had to call in another nurse who finally got it. That sucked. They put the babies on the monitors just to verify heartbeats and all that. Then my doc came in and did a quick ultrasound just to see the positions. I also found out that one of the other OBs that I really like in my practice was going to assist in the delivery. So I felt VERY special! Two docs for me!

They made me drink this awful stuff that tasted like sweet tarts with a salty aftertaste. That made me kinda nauseous. Once everyone was all dressed in scrubs and all that stuff, they walked me down to the operating room.

It was agreed that my sister and her husband would be in the operating room with me during the procedure, with my DH waiting outside. Once the babies were born, Chrissy and Ant would follow them to the nursery, and then my DH would come in and stay with me during the end of the procedure and to the recovery room. They also only allowed the camera man from a Baby Story in ... the other two people had to wait outside as well.

The brought me into the OR first, alone, to do the spinal. That wasn't as easy as I remember it being from last time. It hurt a little more, and took a little longer. But once it was done, I was fine. They got me all ready to go. And then I felt REALLY sick. I started dry heaving and vomitting, but it only last like a minute or two. As soon as the anesthesiologists saw that I was sick, he gave me some meds, and they kicked in pretty quickly. So luckily that passed by. They then brought it Chrissy and Ant to sit down by my head.

At this point, things moved pretty quickly in my opinion. They started the procedure, and there really isn't much to tell about that. I felt pressure, some tugging, etc, but it's not uncomfortable. It's just weird to think of what you know is going on on the other side of the curtain, but can't feel at all! The only thing that was gross was that when they first started, you could smell it. I think they use a laser or something to cut, and it smelled, like burning meat or something. Me and Chrissy and Ant all kinda looked at each other and were like "umm, gross!", but luckily the anesthesiologist put oxygen in my noise, so I didn't smell it anymore.

OK, this is WAY longer than I anticipated, so I'm going to have to break it up into parts. And this ends Part 1.



BB said...

Looking forward to your "to be contd." story! When is The Baby Story going to be on TV?

Aimee said...

WOW...This is giving me some idea of what I will be going through. Man...I bet you felt like a star with those camera people following you around. I think it would have made feel uncomfortable. LOL Sorry the epidural make you sick, guess it's pretty common. I can't wait to read Part II!! :o)

FET Accompli said...

Sounds like things went smoothly, and that you had a firm birth plan in advance. Can't wait to read the next part(s)!!